Are you an Executive or a Leader of multiple teams, in an organisation where you need to work collaboratively across multiple different business or functional units to deliver customer outcomes? Was your business stable in terms of where it's been, but is now undergoing threat and competition (disruption is just competition) from multiple sources including non-traditional players?
You may have teams that are already implementing agile ways of working and frameworks, and you need to understand how to make these work together strategically, tactically and operationally. The gaps between the teams is proving the biggest challenge, so you need to work out how to make these teams connect efficiently and effectively - aligning strategy to execution. You need to see that your strategic goals are being delivered, and know what questions to ask to gather information and insights to aid meeting your KPIs. The Heart of Agile is the advanced meta framework to help you ask the right questions and achieve organisational agility.
This workout day is replete with modern working theory and high-energy, timed activities that pit people against themselves and their preconceptions of what work actually means, what work is meaningful, and how work happens in their organisations. We draw the learning together and culminate in the running of a Strategic Scenario Planning Exercise, showing you a practical way to draw the elements of Reflection, Collaboration and Delivery to Improve how your teams are working - the four key elements of the Heart of Agile.
The day then concludes with a roundtable discussion, applying the insights gained to your real company situations - so how do you take what you have learned and apply it on your world?
We also offer to engage in a follow up activity, where people attending take away a specific action that they intend to implement with their teams, and a plan for checking on that action and the outcome it might have created - was it the intended outcome or did something more interesting happen? And what next?
The value of this one-day workshop is to create a shared understanding of what leaders need to do to enable agility using the four quadrants of the Heart of Agile - Collaborate, Deliver, Reflect and Improve.
What is agile? Why is it different? Why should I care?
• What does agile really mean?
• Difference to traditional delivery - What changes, what remains?
• The business case for agile versus sequentially planned
• Taking Responsibility - the Responsibility Process
• The Heart of Agile Quadrants and why we use them - it’s about culture
• The Nature of Collaboration - what does it mean, why is it essential, how do we rate it, and how might we measure and improve it
• How do we achieve our organisational goals without “control"
• Creating the environment of trust and psychological safety as necessary foundations for the emergence of high performing teams
• Building a collaborative continuous improvement approach to organisational effectiveness
• Change the way you lead teams to ‘guest leadership’ – autonomous teams, delegating decision making, taking authority to the work, servant leadership explained
• How does delivery change (agile vis a vis waterfall)
• The three types of delivery and why all are essential : deliver for income; deliver for learning; deliver for the next delivery
• How do we maintain delivery in a VUCA world - learn why agile methods are uniquely suited to complex and uncertain problems
• What and how do I measure in an agile environment? And Why?
• Understand the benefits implicit and indirect on becoming a more “agile leader”
• What is reflection and why don’t we do it more often
• Reflection of what you are doing, what you have done and why
• How do you catalyse change in others and facilitate organisational change
• The link between changing oneself and changing your teams
• Leaders as coaches and the changing nature of work
• What behaviours do we need for agility to thrive - and linking that to the companies values
• How do we reflect on our peoples past narratives to enable change to sustain
• Why do we need to continuously improve
• Using agile and lean approaches to identifying and removing system level bottlenecks and constraints on delivery
• Helping teams improve how to identify alternate solutions in ambiguity – how to solve problems and how best to enable that, and get better at it
• How to “budget” for improvement activity and show the ROI
• Why and how to create space for, and measure the impact of improvement activities
• What is agile evolving to - Design Thinking, Agile and Lean combined
• Create one or more specific actions you will take back to your business to experiment with
• Complete the experiment template
• Credus Partners
• are offering 2 individual follow up sessions with each attendee to reflect on your action and work on follow up actions; at the 1-2 week and 1 month mark.
About Phil and Greg
Phil Gadzinski has been working with the Executives and Leaders of some of our largest organisations tackling this very problem. He brings over a decade of working through how to transform teams at scale and across borders to realise the benefits promised from moving to agile thinking and ways of working. Phil is accredited as a Delivery Partner of the Heart of Agile Meta Framework, by Alistair Cockburn, one of the founding signatories of the Agile Manifesto and creator of the Heart of Agile, and the basis of this course. For the Strategic Scenario Planning Exercise
Phil will be joined by Greg Gogerly, who has had over 15 years in working with agile teams at all scales - from well before we even called it agile.